Only 4 steps to get a brand new lawn!
How we install real turf
The type of turf you choose mainly depends on your preference, and on your garden’s climate conditions.
Real turf is very toddler-friendly and is mostly preferred by families with children. It has many benefits, some of which are the ability to purify the air and to absorb noise and air pollution. Here is how we approach the installation:
- The professional landscapers always start with area clearance. They will remove every unwanted object, such as rocks, plants, pavement, deckings, old turf and vegetation.
- If there isn’t enough soil in the area that will be turfed, they will add such and level it with a compactor or lawn roller.
- A layer of topsoil is going to be applied on top of the levelled area. This is a mixture of compost and soil. If needed the experts will add some fertiliser, too.
- The new turf rolls will be laid carefully. The turves are slightly overlapped, so that they can join together.
- The new lawn will be properly edged so that the turf doesn’t invade flowerbeds or other garden features.
- You will receive a detailed maintenance plan for your new lawn. If you don’t have the time to take care of it, we also offer regular mowing and other lawn maintenance procedures.
Depending on the soil, season, and weather conditions in the garden, your new turf may need more extensive watering. If you don’t have the time to do it, we can also assist you with the installation of an automatic irrigation system.
How we install artificial grass
Artificial grass is very appropriate for people who don’t have the physical ability to mow, weed and take general care of their lawns. It is also a great low-maintenance solution for rental properties. Or for people who travel a lot during the year, but want to have a nice-looking garden when they come back home. This is how the installation process goes:
- The artificial turf laying also starts with site clearance. All unwanted vegetation, rocks and other objects will be removed.
- The area will then be levelled properly, by digging out or adding soil, and compacting it afterwards.
- A layer of heavy duty anti-weed membrane will be installed to block weeds from growing through the fake turf.
- A frame of joist will be installed for stability, after which it will be filled with sharp sand.
- The artificial turf will be installed with adhesive, which can differ depending on the type of fake turf used. The adhesive is used to keep the lawn at its place. The experts may also need to brush silica sand on top of the artificial turf, but they will advise you on that during the survey.
Artificial turf can be laid on all kinds of surfaces. It is perfect for balconies, rooftop gardens, cafes, offices, playgrounds and for domestic properties. It is very pet-friendly and doesn’t get damaged by the pets.
Just like real turf, artificial grass also has different varieties. The surveyor will advise you which one is best for your property during the viewing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How often should I water my lawn after the turfing?
A: Every customer of ours, who gets a new lawn laid or an old lawn re-turfed, receives a free maintenance plan, which depends on the type of turf.
Q: When is the best time of the year to lay a new lawn?
A: If you intend to book real turf laying, then the best time to do it is between mid-autumn and late winter. The soil shouldn't be too wet, nor frosty.
Q: Can you work with customer’s materials?
A: Yes, we can. You can supply your own materials. But, in case, you want us to buy and deliver the materials, we require a deposit of 50% of the prices 5 days prior to the service. For jobs over £5000 we require another 25% of the final prices on the first day of the service.
Q: If my garden is not perfectly levelled, can you guys do it?
A: Yes, we can. We offer all kinds of soil preparation services, such as rotovating, excavating soil and leveling. You can discuss all of these with the landscaping surveyor when onsite.
Q: Does artificial grass drain like real grass?
A: Yes, it does. It is absolutely porous on the backside and liquids can pass through it.
Q: Can you lay artificial grass on soil?
A: Yes, we can. Artificial grass laying can be done on any surface. You shouldn’t worry about weeds growing in between the layers, either, as astroturf fitters always lay heavy-duty anti-weed membrane beneath the grass.
Q: How much does turfing cost?
A: The cost of your turfing project depends on the materials used and on the work load needed. Turfing prices are charged per project, no matter if you want real turf or artificial grass.
Q: Can I combine the laying of my new lawn with another service?
A: Yes, you can book turfing together with any ot the other garden maintenance and landscaping services we offer.